In this course students will be introduced to contemporary dance by exploring movement technique, improvisation, composition, and performance. Students will participate in a variety of technique methodologies aimed at encouraging strength, flexibility, versatility, and anatomical and spatial awareness. There will be an emphasis on proper alignment and anatomical terms to avoid injury. Most classes consist of detailed floor work, diverse vocabularies, challenging rhythms, and focused experimentation.The goal is for students to uncover and apply their own potential as movers in an experiential and experimental learning environment.
- Introducing students to contemporary dance practices
- Improving kinesthetic awareness, strength, and flexibility
- Increasing anatomical awareness and proper alignment
- Understanding the creative process and how it is used in training, composing, and performance
- Uncovering the individuals unique “voice” in movement and performance